Monday, September 10, 2007

Food scales are cool, and other stuff.

So today I finally set up my shiny new Salter food scale (it's thisaone) after the constant nagging of my darling husband finally broke my "ehh I don't really NEED that" spirit. It was a gift to commemorate our matrimony so I guess maybe he was personally offended that I wasn't busting into it yet.

The truth is that I'm kind of drag-assy about learning new ways to deal with my diabetes. If it's not baroque, don't fix it, amirite? Actually, am just lazy.

So I opened it, and . . . IT IS SO FREAKING COOL, YOU GUYS. Okay, assuming that it actually *works* (because I haven't yet bolused according to its wisdom). But still.

I put an apple on the scale - something I would guesstimate at 30g, give or take. The scale says "25.1g" next to the carbohydrates section. NEAT!

I put a banana on the scale - something I would guesstimate at 40g, give or take. The scale says 37.7g. NEAT! Oh, and "LO" on the glycemic index as well.

I put an entire honeybear on the scale and made Will do the math. "Ummm, I think about 270g." Scale says 300.1g. NEAT! (Oh, and "HI" on the GI. Dur.)

So anyways there's my food scale, and I guess I'll be using it when I'm at home. I haven't figured out how to do more complicated foods such as, say, a taco . . . but even for fruit and unpackaged evils of that nature it's a nifty little machine.

Other stuff...uhhhhmmmmmm. I'm having some sort of existential crisis over here. I don't know, I'm not gonna whine about it because then I just solidify my patheticness for all of the internet to read about and LAWD KNOWS the internet has enough emo to go around. I suppose I still am just unhappy at work and I should really do something about that BUT guess what is more interesting than that will ever, ever, ever be?

BABIES BABIES BABIEESSS. I promise not to become a "mommy blog" or whatever (even though I secretly love mommy blogs), and at any rate I'm not even a mommy yet so I can't. But we are y'know, doing that thing that everyone in high school warned me about. The funny part is I'm not instantly 9 months pregnant and lurching to my Algebra I class. Nope. Turns out that in real life it's a little more complicated. I'll keep you posted, internet. In the meantime, keep practicing putting the condom on the banana.

Also, looking at real estate in the area. Why, Northern VA? Why? Why must you do dis to me, Dimmeh? Do I really want to buy a crapped up piece of crap for 500,000+ and call that a steal, and then subject ourselves to thousands of dollars in renovations? Or should we shell out megabux for a brand new (relatively) townhouse, subjecting ourselves to years of guilt every time we let the dog and the kid out to wander the wild outdoors (a 2x2 piece of "yard")?

Opinions? Hints? Stock options?

5 comments:

Danae said...

I added that food scale to my wish list after somebody posted about it last week. It looks megacool. Re: TTC, isn't it ironic? I spent years and years being super careful so we wouldn't have an "accident" and then when I wanted to get pregnant, huh, whaddya know, it ain't that easy.

Anonymous said...

Glad you like the scale - I've been saying that I need to get one for like 2 years now and just haven't shelled out the cash yet.

Re: homes in NoVA. We went for a vastly overpriced "just OK" townhouse WAYYYY far away from work (ok, like 30 miles, which equals 1 hr travel time). Was it worth it monetarily? Nope, we're upside down right now. Was it worth it so that I won't have to move again for a long time and feel like at least my money is in my own bottomless pit rather than a landlord's? I guess so. Of course, we bought at the HEIGHT of the market and would kill to have the conditions the market is in right now ;).

Good luck with the babies stuff - I'm right there with ya (well, in spirit anyway...)

Scott K. Johnson said...

I too want one of those scales - but I'm worried that the foods I eat aren't going to be in the list. I'm sure there are ZILLIONS of foods there, but it would be just my luck...

Tesney said...

That scale is a must-have. I had no idea they even made such a thing. Still a diabetic newbie, I guess. Anywho...my advice on baby-makin'...go on vacation. We had been on fertility meds, numerous doctor's visits, and were considering IVF. We went on vacation for a week and BAM! It happened with no meds, no help whatsoever except lower stress levels which I think totally made it possible. Until it happens for ya...just enjoy all the practice.

Kendra said...

Danae - It's gonna happen for you, especially now that the big D is a known factor! It amazes me that you're such a new player to the game and you're so on top of things. I had never even heard of such a food scale until I was making my wedding registry last year!

Jenni - I know now is one of the best times to buy in recent history, so I'll try not to bitch too much about prices. They still hurt, but it's not like was 5, 6, 7 years ago. That's for sure.

Scott - I believe it's more in the range of thousands of foods as opposed to zillions. The scale will try to auto-complete a food when you type it in, and I was already impressed by how many different kinds of bananas it has in its database :) I'm pretty sure ketchup will be on there!

tdavis - Ahhhh the tried and true vacation story - it does seem to have worked for so many people. I will keep it in my hat if we need to use it. I certainly wouldn't mind spending my PTO like that :D