Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Long time no blog

I wonder how many times that's come up as a blog entry title in the history of blogger.com. Oh well, I never pretended to be original anyways. Far too exhausting to be unique when it's 110F outside (and NO, I don't live in Phoenix! What gives?!)

So what's been up with me, non-diabetically...and how it affected me diabetically:
  • Marriage celebration! Miraculously I survived a barrage of Australians, my in-laws, and my mother's collection of roughly 20 varieties of homemade cookies, at least three cheesecakes, three ricotta pies, candies, and a wedding cake (and that's the very brief overview of what she made for the reception). All of the leftovers are sitting in my fridge now, but I didn't actually eat all that much on the day...at any rate, my blood sugars stayed steady and unremarkable from the beginning of July to the very end, although I had a slight paranoid moment before the ceremony where I thought I was low. I wasn't! Hurrah :) Now I just have to figure out how to finish the cake in my fridge without going into a coma.
  • Canada! Two nights in Montreal (poutine = not as bad as you think), one night in Toronto (very. tall. buildings.), and one night in Niagara at a B&B (Canadian Vegas indeed). My blood sugars were great in Canada, except for the worst low experience of my life on the 2nd night in Montreal. There just aren't that many carbs in a squash soup, Kendra. One overbolus led to a 40-something that persisted for over an hour and a half. I felt like I was going to pass out, or seize, or something very bad...but I didn't. Needless to say I hope I never feel that awful again. I woke up at 3:30am with a 415. Thank you liver, but you're a little late.
  • New job! Well, new position, same company. I have - no idea - what I'm doing (yet) but at least I get to do it from 9:00am to 5:00pm, at the same address every day. That may sound boring to you, but I'm thrilled. And hopefully I can get up to speed soon enough. Anyone know what OID, REMICs, and negative amortization are? A duurrrrr... :D Diabetes-wise, this should be a piece of cake compared to the old job...except apparently every Friday is "bagel day." Uh oh.

No comments: